Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hepatitis B/Hepatitis D

Hepatitis D Co-Infection
Hepatitis D is a type of viral hepatitis caused by the hepatitis D virus (HDV), which needs the hepatitis B virus to exist. Only people who are already infected with hepatitis B can be infected with hepatitis D.
HDV Co-infection - occurs simultaneously when first infected with the hepatitis B virus.
HDV Super-infection – occurs in persons with an existing chronic hepatitis B infection.

HDV-HBV Co-infection
A co-infection may result in a more severe acute disease and a higher risk (2%-20%) of developing acute liver failure compared with those infected with HBV alone.

HDV-HBV Super-infection
Chronic HBV carriers who acquire HDV super-infections usually develop chronic HDV infection as well. Progression to cirrhosis is believed to be more common with HDV-HBV chronic infections.
Transmission - hepatitis D is spread the same way as hepatitis B:
§Contact with infected blood
§Unprotected sex
§Exposure to dirty needles (i.e. needle sticks, sharing drugs, tattoo parlors, body piercings).
§From an infected woman to her newborn during birth

Prevention – the only way to prevent a HDV infection is to prevent a hepatitis B infection!
Get the hepatitis B vaccine and reduce your risk.

Treatment and Management – there is really no effective treatment for HDV. For an acute HDV infection, only supportive care for symptoms can be provided. For a chronic HDV infection, some doctors may try interferon-alpha, but this may only slow disease progression. Ultimately, a liver transplant may be required.

2 comments:

  1. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete